Player Race Balancing

TPK - The Pirates

Re: Player Race Balancing

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:00 pm

If there were to be random events, they should target the province and law, probably even the source. This would facilitate the Sidhe of the province to actively defend and work against temples and guilds even establishing footholds.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:24 pm

No, because that would make creating guilds and temples in Sidhelien lands a more effective form of attack than actual espionage actions, and that's absurd. It makes more sense that the province would initially reject the holdings than that the holdings would immediately start to unravel the fabric of Sidhleien society anyway. And keep in mind, events often cause collateral damage to the whole province even when they 'target' one holding type.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:27 pm

I see so many convoluted ideas. Keep it elegantly simple.

Otherwise. Yeah Elves, Dwarves, Orogs are better than the rest. For the reasons Cole said.

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:27 am

This was a concern in tabletop gaming too. It was addressed with level limits. Alternately, I've seen it addressed with modified xp tables for other races, like 2x dwarves, 3x elves.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:23 pm

From a military standpoint several races have a large defensive advantage when terrain defensive bonuses are stacked with racial bonuses. You get a defensive bonus from forest and then elven archers have a bonus.... Dwarf troops have a strong bonus and then you combine it with a bonus from mountains.

As a human Clay built cavalry because they can charge on plains...But all of those bonuses are lost the battlefield is not on plains or someone simply builds pikemen.

I would adjust the training/mustering costs to better align with the quality of the troops. Or allow other races to build troops that would counter the racial advantages.... Forest shouldn't provide a giant bonus if you can burn it down.... Pikemen vs human cavalry should not be the only counter option.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 pm

I had 2 pikeman for most of the game and still lost ranged units to charges, so I dont think our current battle system allows for that counter matchup to exist. IIRC 2 random units are chosen to fight each other each round without consideration for those tactics?
Captain Shanol Flint

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:35 pm

I like the idea of Karamhul and Sidhelien units costing more to muster than others in return for their higher quality, but I think the rest is a feature, not a bug. Karamhul and Sidhelien regents have an advantage when defending their own lands, but they still tend to lose to expansionistic humans. I don't think we've ever seen that swing the other way.

If culture-specific units remain an option, it makes sense that units uniquely adapted for a given terrain or opponent would exist. Goblin pillagers (a type of wolf rider) might have an advantage when attacking Sidhelien in forests, for instance. But, not all options should be available to everyone, or the gameplay and worldbuilding will be less interesting.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 am

I dont think it is correct to change the muster cost of the Karamhul. They are better in fighting in the mountains but they have no slow movement and no charge units. So outside the mountains they are much worse units. The lower movement is a major disadvantage when trying to attack someone or reach a battle in time.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am

2 random units are chosen to fight each other, those units have bonuses against specific units is also my assumption. However, when I write up the news I also don't actually know which units killed which. It just spits out each round that units A, B, C died. And I make up how that happened.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:39 am

I wouldn't increase the muster cost, but we could do a training differential.
Goblins cost 1 less train point (min 1), Karamhul/Sidhelien cost 1 more train point per unit (from Tier 3 onwards).