Class Balancing

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Class Balancing

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:03 am

I don't think that's necessary... paladins and rangers have such intense requirements they're already set apart from fighters. If someone has the ability scores and alignment to qualify for those classes, they probably should, unless they just don't want to obey the ethos restrictions.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am

Not everyone wants to be a paladin (religious) or ranger (woodsy), some just want to be the best at cutting, maiming, and killing.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Hmm. I guess to me they're all equally good at cutting, maiming, and killing, it's just that two of them have an additional package of perks and drawbacks (which is only available to an elite few).

Maybe there are (or should be) fighter kits, with their own elite requirements, that push it further, but have drawbacks? I remember the Kensai in Baldur's Gate 2 was better at cutting, maiming, and killing than anybody, but couldn't wear armour or use ranged weapons.

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Kits are available to single-class. Myrmidon (extra WPs) is often a favorite. Swashbuckler also saw use this game.

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Both of those give extra WP - not a coincidence I bet.
Captain Shanol Flint

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Mog was a beast master. I imagined creating lizard riders as my unique tier 4 unit at some point. Beilamog was a myrmidon for the WP to make up for the lower level.

It doesn't feel balanced to have to take a kit, to be competitive. It doesn't feel like roleplaying to have to limit yourself to couple kits for the bonus, then ignore the roleplay components, or stretch justification of its use paper thin.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr

Post by HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:47 pm

You are missing the most abusive kit - the Paladin Militarist. You can wholesale swap all* your NWP into WP.
Turn to Avani before you return to Avani
Hakim al-Qadr
Mayor of Barniere

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Yeah, bonus NWPs from kits aren't allowed, right? So why should bonus WPs be?

...it does seem fair for the Samurai kit, though. At least to me.

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:12 pm

I took the bonus NWPS. I parlayed with Juan for the Beastmaster Kit's reaction penalty to apply an additional -1 culture penalty on domain actions.

Myrmidon for Beilamog has no mechanical penalties aside from having a Patron. I have used this 'non-drawback' to influence roleplay only, to put Mog's legacy or Patrons wishes as a foremost concern for the character.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:26 am

Can Orogs build without wood like dwarves?