Trade

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Trade

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:34 pm

The Create Trade Route action does nothing but create a trade route, so any action that results in the destruction of a trade route (by decree or otherwise) as collateral damage or a side effect, or as the main effect but that accomplishes something else at the same time, is 'easy' in the sense it's more action-efficient than creating the trade route was.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Create Trade Route wrote: Base Cost: 1GB, 1RP (2GB, 2RP for a Smuggler's trade route)
DC: 10+
Modifiers: Law or guild at either end can support or oppose. You can bid RP to increase or decrease success chances. Requires a Guild at both ends. If agreeing to split TR income by using an allied guild at each end, requires a diplomacy action by both guilders involved.

In order to destroy trade routes, you must remove the guilds they were built from, or you may occupy a province and destroy trade routes that way. You can alternatively also contest them with a guild or law holding. If the trade route does not have the guild on both sides of the trade route, a holder of a guild can destroy a foreign trade route as a free action.
An action to create, an action to destroy. It isn't easier in any sense of the word.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Or you can compare trade routes to armies, instead of realm spells. I have endurance nwp and can train scouts. If my heir doesn't the nwp the realms scouts dont suddenly disband or become irregulars again.

A realm spell is more of a realm ability.
Trade routes, like holdings and armies are realm assets.

Also regarding trade screeching to a halt, would be unexpected. Your domain runs well enough when you are a POW. The people running the day to day aren't going to stop work just because the CEO if gone
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:32 pm

But if you have a crappy CEO for 2 years? Your company could very well start to tank.

You need to manage your merchant heirs. Make sure you have someone who is around level 5-7 before they take over. It isn't impossible to start trying to help them XP up when you are getting old, after all.

Yeah, it isn't perfectly logical, but that is the way it works. You might have a hiccup for a while when you transition, and it may provide opportunities for predatory competitors to move in to "make up for your shortcomings" while you try to establish yourself back up to being able to chain 4 provinces...

Really, all (except maybe warriors) need to do the same. A priest dies, and suddenly the heir can only bless 2 provinces? The faith might start to suffer, if the place you used to bless isn't getting it anymore.

Or the wizard who everyone relied on to be able to ward 3 provinces in a shot, suddenly can't even ward?! Disaster scramble mode...

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:16 pm

went with 1+LVL/3, so 1 more than before

HBH - Bloodmage

Post by HBH - Bloodmage » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:20 am

Just to loop back to this, are we saying standard Rogues get a +1 on trade chains? Was that the agreed upon outcome? I ask because as one on a small island in the middle of the bay, I find it very difficult to only have 2 sea trade routes available. It would ease the pain if I could chain an extra link on the lands.... Somewhere.
Bloodmage

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:51 am

Good Q

So level 1 = A to B

Level 3 = A to B to C

Level 6 = A to B to C to D

Level 9 = A to B to C to D to E

Is this correct?

HBH - Bloodmage

Post by HBH - Bloodmage » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:54 am

That would be correct for a single trade chain without the Rogue class, yes.

If we were to give the Rouge class a +1 link, then everything would have one extra on it and make the rogue class much more able to ply trade.

Right now there is no limit to the number of chains, just the number of links in the chain. The limit on province level is also to be observed; so a level 3 province would only have a single Sea Trade Route available. For those of us that only have Island provinces, It would be nice to trade in the Land routes for additional sea routes.
Bloodmage

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am

By Rogue do you mean Thief? or Bards, Thieves, and Guilders?

Cause non-Rogues can't chain at all I thought?

But still that means with +1

So level 1 = A to B to C

Level 3 = A to B to C to D

Level 6 = A to B to C to D to E

Level 9 = A to B to C to D to E to F

HBH - Bloodmage

Post by HBH - Bloodmage » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:11 am

Sorry, when I say Rouge I mean Thief only. Bard and Guilder would not have the +1 as they have other benefits.

Your table would then be correct if you were a Thief, this of course all needs to be confirmed by Juan, but that was the conversation that was being had, and I hope is approved, as it would help me out.
Bloodmage