New Rules - Under Construction

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: New Rules - Under Construction

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:53 pm

I'd say 'Sidhelien can be single-class priests, but... Sidhelien provinces (and all holdings in them) are immune to the Investiture spell, and can only perform Investitures by using magic items that can't be used by priest characters, so good luck trying to pull that off'.

Since the dwarf resistance scales with con, one way to balance it would be by saying that dwarven wizards must have low constitution scores. Like, if their con score is high, their level cap will be low to match.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:03 pm

BS - Sojak wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:27 pm
DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:25 pm
Mae - Maedhros wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:21 pm
personally, I prefer it with dwarfs being unable to use arcane and sidhe unable to be divine spellcasters... but ofcourse, thats a change that needs to heppend between games, not during. And I doubt I get a majority with me on that anyway
+1
+1 more
+1

I am, however, OK with dwarves being allowed to use arcane magic if it corrupts them in the same way divine magic corrupts elves.

Edit: maybe arcane magic turns dwarves into kobolds like divine magic turns elves into goblins? 😊
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

MaH - Meganno al Hamam

Post by MaH - Meganno al Hamam » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:20 pm

This ability is only important in main adventures and perhaps Duells. This is the first one I can be involved (in my 3rd game). Because in future main adventures everybody can be killed by comrades and it’s totally random which whom you go, I will likely not attention anyway, so no haste to decide.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Note: I do think, regardless of how it plays out, that any race should be able to become a mage if they become a Shadow Mage -- halflings, for example, should only be able to be shadow mages, but I'd be OK with orog, dwarf, etc shadow mages too.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:58 pm

AB - Alim Büyücü wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 pm
Note: I do think, regardless of how it plays out, that any race should be able to become a mage if they become a Shadow Mage -- halflings, for example, should only be able to be shadow mages, but I'd be OK with orog, dwarf, etc shadow mages too.
I'd image you could consider adding witches to list that as well.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Well, witch is a kit, so they could take that kit if they wanted to. Shadow Mage represents a "deal with the devil" though, and anybody should be able to make a deal with the devil.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:28 pm

Sure. Though, innate magic resistance is still a problem, even if you make a deal with the devil. The devil might need to remove that so you can get the powers.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:34 pm

MF - Morcuan the Fay wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:28 pm
Sure. Though, innate magic resistance is still a problem, even if you make a deal with the devil. The devil might need to remove that so you can get the powers.
No, I don't think so in that specific case. Shadow magic comes from a different source than arcane magic. I see becoming a shadow mage as directly analogous to becoming an awnshegh, and dwarven or halfling resistance doesn't interfere with their awnshegh abilities.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:42 pm

Could also say only Ansheghlien Halflings/Dwarves can be wizards, and have to take the shadow specialization.

At any rate for this game, any who are arcane casters lose their CON save bonuses, except the separate poison save bonus.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:47 pm

DM Juan wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:42 pm
Could also say only Ansheghlien Halflings/Dwarves can be wizards, and have to take the shadow specialization.
I like that too -- let them multi-class into it if they weren't already after the change.