[D4] Priest Spells and Balance Discussion

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Re: [D4] Priest Spells and Balance Discussion

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:14 pm

I like that you are trying to make the priest more versatile and not just a bless population growth cow. I dont think this spell is to powerfull as it is cant be used in offense and it does not remove any units. It might have effect if cast in the right moment but in some situations it will just deley a little bit.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:16 pm

The cumulative cost might work but maybe also if units effected by Battle Fury etc were immune?

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:17 pm

And of course should not effect mindless creatures like Undead.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:21 pm

Also should prevent any mustering or training of units in the province or any aggressive act or spell. And any units already in the province must leave or disband.

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:21 pm

Its basicly impossible to attack against that Spell. The cost is far to low to. Should be dependent on number of units you are affecting.

Often wars don't tale more then 1 Domain turn and you basicly take the targeting army out for most likely 2 actions maybe even 3 depending where they came from and what move they have.

It should be in 1 province only, and the army can move on elsewhere, not have to return home.

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:29 pm

The spell is only in one province but if they can attack somewhere else the spell is basically useless as a defense. The spell is good for a 1 province defense. Usually you attack in multiple provinces. With the risk of getting warded you usually dont want to have all units in one province. And the war is not over in 1 action usually. Defection is much more problematic than this spell unless we are talking of huge armies.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Or make it biddable against. Or make it cost per war move rather than entire turn.

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Priests are not supposed to be as good as wizards with spells. The new spells make wizards obsolete... They don't make money of their sources and now their spells are becoming less powerful then priest spells....

Just a lumb 5 RP to send a whole army packing... Thats just stupid.

Bidding against it would make it acceptable.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 pm

I don't think the cumulative cost is great, because of the tracking costs but also because, theoretically, the spell would become uncastable at some point in the future if there is no decay rate for the spell recast cost.

I like the idea of it being dependent on units, but the cost should be low because it hits your units as well as the other sides. Basically, it takes both sides' militaries that were present out of the fight. Alternately, make it an instant spell (like Mass Destruction) in that it only affects those units present and would needed to be cast again if new units moved in.

I'd look for a sphere that doesn't have any realm spells to put it in, if it made sense. Wards doesn't have any realm spells currently (though, I think Protection from Realm Magic and Ward Realm should be ward spells). Maybe healing otherwise. If it's a Charms spell, I agree it shouldn't affect undead. If it's a wards spell, then it should absolutely affect undead.

EDIT: I like the idea that it could make mustering/training impossible in the province too.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:40 pm

What are you talking about? These spells make a wizards obsolete??? A wizard can use his spells by making ley lines offensively. The spell we are talking about can only be cast in provinces with temple 3 an as defense. So far maybe 1 or 2 provinces in the whole game.
Juan please continue to make interesting spells that can replace the bless/population growth bubble of the priests.