Future game set-up concepts

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Re: Future game set-up concepts

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:47 am

AA - Aingeal Aghmohr wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:13 pm
Summary in case you missed it: we are playing the 'heroic' slice of an alignment cube. CE does not mean chaotic evil. It means freedom and power. Opposition to tradition for tradition's sake on the law axis, and focus on the mechanics of power on the good axis.
That is an interesting point actually. But I think that a nation that is based on freedom and power will result in something very close to chaotic evil (mind you, chaotic doesn't mean crazy as far as I'm concerned).

Either way, you cannot 'win' an alignment discussion. Everyone has his own opinion on the matter. For me, playing good means the character values life, as evil I wouldn't. So if someone decides to have some of his units deliberately killed because that saves upkeep, to me that is evil. On the other hand, a LG paladin could easily send a thousand men to their death to save a hundred thousand others. Either way, and even though others might see it differently, my character will act accordingly. It's all in the eye of the beholder, and based on the information your character possesses (in this, seeing the alignment of a realm doesn't help really).
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:19 am

Ma - Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:47 am
(in this, seeing the alignment of a realm doesn't help really).
Yes, yes, yes! I think this is the important takeaway. You cant look at the two letters displayed on someone's character sheet and make wild assumptions about their character, or what goes on in their realm. You need to roleplay with them and base your responses on what you see them/their realm do.
Captain Shanol Flint

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:43 am

So, you're saying perhaps it's not the best strategy to attempt to ignore, block, and prevent interaction due to the misunderstandings and inevitable enmity that results?
[+] Spoilers for the Calling with AA and MF
Very neatly, the first time Morcuan's opinion of Aingeal went down to the depths was when she revealed she doesn't practice what she preaches, being willing to deliberately inflict pain on some beings despite claiming to be pure of that impulse. That fall got fixed in, after when he pointed this out, she gave him the silent treatment, instead of addressing it.

The last time was when she rejected all peaceful discussion and consensus-seeking, because after that there was nowhere further to fall. That was when she's essentially revealed her character was pure evil, alignment mechanics be damned.

He had suspicions about her after she refused to introduce herself, so that contributed to the appearance of a bad attitude, but she only built on those suspicions over time, especially when she lied about the episode afterward, falsely accusing him of attempted murder(s) with his spell.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:19 am
Ma - Mag wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:47 am
(in this, seeing the alignment of a realm doesn't help really).
Yes, yes, yes! I think this is the important takeaway. You cant look at the two letters displayed on someone's character sheet and make wild assumptions about their character, or what goes on in their realm. You need to roleplay with them and base your responses on what you see them/their realm do.
Excepting early game. If you have not yet had any contact with someone, those numbers are the only thing you have to go by. Makes sense to look at them then.
Lord Mayor Cowell VI

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:26 pm

Are the letters on the character sheet information your character would have access to in order to make decisions in game?

I feel like it wouldnt be - in a first contact situation you would be reliant on any public information they had posted, or word of mouth from others who had interacted with the person previously. You could use that first contact as RP to get more material to make an educated decision for sure, but beyond that I am not so certain.
Captain Shanol Flint

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Mae - Maedhros wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm
Excepting early game. If you have not yet had any contact with someone, those numbers are the only thing you have to go by. Makes sense to look at them then.
Seems a little meta to me. Granted, you need the info to calculate the DC, but for the rest the numbers seem OOC info to me really.
Last edited by JB - Jana Boulderbrew on Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:38 pm

Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:26 pm
Are the letters on the character sheet information your character would have access to in order to make decisions in game?

I feel like it wouldnt be - in a first contact situation you would be reliant on any public information they had posted, or word of mouth from others who had interacted with the person previously. You could use that first contact as RP to get more material to make an educated decision for sure, but beyond that I am not so certain.
Well, it depends. In some of our starter games we have lived next to another realm for some time already, Like in Taelshore, or last game for that matter where it was said we have lived there for a number of years already. If we have been neighbors for decades, a lawful and a chaotic realm will have noticed the difference among the population.

In thisone, possibly not, but an action is a long time. I would assume that we meet not just with the regent, but with other functionaries and so on, during the diplomacy, and get an impression from that.

But really, that is not much of a factor, since it stops having an effect once you talk to the other players. Not trusting other races have remained longer for me though, but thats according to plan. Alignments less so.
Lord Mayor Cowell VI

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:33 pm

The map was revealed late in this game, so realm alignments weren't visible until several turns after first contact anyway...

..and other players' character sheets aren't available, and character alignments don't have to match realm alignments in the first place.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:44 pm

True. I was really thinking of last game, and forgot how this one started.

I guess I am getting old and mixing stuff up already. Damnit.
Lord Mayor Cowell VI

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:45 pm

Exploring a populated province revealed its full name which included alignment and resource.

This was not always shared if relying on traded maps.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"