Re: Likely World Area

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Again yup

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:19 pm

BK - Borje Kolming wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:03 pm
In our alliance though 3 of us were guilders so we found it constraining by not being in demand. We had tons of guilding supply if someone cared to accept.
And I was also getting RP from guilds, and you all were stingy with giving me law holdings, so that's why it never worked out for us. Borje and I almost traded a bunch of law for a bunch of guild...but it never happened.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:26 pm

NS - Nehid Sehir wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:08 pm
I think the biggest reason I dislike resources is because if a guilder has a trade route in someone else's land, it normally just gives them income. So it's easy for the province ruler to threaten to destroy the trade route. But if the route supplies resources, ...oops.
That's what I like most about it.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm

SK - the Architect wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:26 pm
NS - Nehid Sehir wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:08 pm
I think the biggest reason I dislike resources is because if a guilder has a trade route in someone else's land, it normally just gives them income. So it's easy for the province ruler to threaten to destroy the trade route. But if the route supplies resources, ...oops.
That's what I like most about it.
Agreed, I loved how resource constraints impacted. It was part of my long-term war plans to cut roads to resource locations and remove the ability for Gaelin to potentially outswarm us (because Anuire was a well-oiled war machine had only a few avenues to even things up).
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Why? It swings the balance from landed rulers to guilders, it ends up feeling more like the 20th or 21st century than the 15th through 18th.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:38 pm

The Templars became a dominant force not for military might (which they had in the beginning), but for the mercantile aspects they brought forth.

Trade makes the world go round. It has since the dawn of time and will most likely continue until the end of civilization.

Resources make people be strategic, work together to advance, or spend a lot of time trying to pull it all together on their own.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:42 pm

NS - Nehid Sehir wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm
Why? It swings the balance from landed rulers to guilders, it ends up feeling more like the 20th or 21st century than the 15th through 18th.
Wars over trade routes is a very 18th century thing to do.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 pm

I don't buy the argument the imbalances in the last game were earned or deserved, they were half an accident to begin with and then just compounded themselves. No, besides slanting the game toward guilders, the system rewards luck and contrivance, and penalizes mischance.

SK: They weren't wars for strategic resources, though, and the corporations weren't more powerful than the kingdoms.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Sure, resources were important for landed rulers, and developing trade routes gave me something to do and a reason to be kept around, but I don't know, it wasn't that satisfying, and sometimes required a lot of mental gymnastics. I'm also pretty sure I accidentally cheated on some buildings back when I still had provinces.

Especially with a game where we're not starting civilizations from scratch, it also messes with suspension of disbelief that this complex web of trade routes needs to be set up right away before anyone can do anything. Like what have the natives been doing all these years before the game starts?
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Ice age. They are holed up in their magical warm forests, mountains and underground.