New Wizard and Priest Realm Spells

HW - Halmond Westerly

Re: New Wizard and Priest Realm Spells

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 pm

Okay, knock off the personal remarks. I've been very careful to not make any personal remarks, and I won't take any from you either.

You're stating your opinion. Your previous comments bely your previous comment. I am stating that an arms race isn't a bad thing. I didnt say that had to be, nor did I make that my answers. Which you would have noted if you'd bothered to listen. Which clearly, you did not.

I stated that that kind of thing (having counters) makes sense, as other strategies have counters. I pointed out what those counters were. You ignored that information, which is your choice. You choosing to ignore it, however, does not mean those ways do not exist.

Your opinion on summoner being inherently vulnerable is just that. Your opinion. You get to have an opinion. My opinion is that your opinion isn't inherently right. I get to have an opinion. Stop making this personal. It's about balance, and I spotted something that would make sense to be balanced.

In your opinion, by what you have directly stated, is that by developing a counter, it will only mean an arms race, and that as soon as an arms race happens, the game stops. That is blatantly false. There will be warriors who won't be involved. Mage and clerics who won't be involved. Guilders who won't be involved. Your opinion is demonstrably false.

So, to reassert my previous commentary:
I've honestly tried to see things from your perspective here, but there doesn't seem to be any game logic or reason to deny the existence of the realm spell speculated. If I'm missing something, please explain. But, I'm sorry to say "this makes someone else's strategy more difficult" doesn't cut it, because all the other strategies have counters. Having one thing that no one can stop is OP.
Last edited by HW - Halmond Westerly on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:50 pm

HK - Hamzaa al-Kalari wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm

One suggestion, for example, since there are no illusion/phantasm realm spells for mages, might be a realm spell version of Fear -- it could be modeled after defection, more powerful in that it can hit more units but less powerful in that it causes them to break/do a morale check rather than switch sides. Another illusion realm spell might be a scaled up version of spectral forces, which duplicates an army, and allows a friendly regent to assign then phantom forces along with real ones. The false forces wouldn't be revealed until battle begins, which would force rival regents to try to guess which forces are real, and whether any of the units they see moving are real at all (or if all of them are).

I like this. There is even a (later edition of DnD) spell called illusionary terrain, that casts an illusion over the ground to alter it. That could be a very potent spell in illusions to help foil things like scrying and such. Purposes could be anything from hiding fortifications, to altering the type of expected terrain to create issues for units moving, to foiling trade routes. Not that I think any one of those purposes is more useful, but the idea of illusions as realm spells would be powerful indeed.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:52 pm

For priest spells, Animal sphere could probably develop some variant of the Mighty Trees spell focused on insects that works in the plains or near rivers or something (how are you going to fight a unit of angry mosquitoes or bees?) Astral could have a high level, but powerful, Gate spell that lets units pass into the Shadowlands and back. Chaos could have a cool realm spell based around Mistaken Missive that causes all the posts and/or letters sent by all regent in a target province to be publicly published (the spell misdirects and duplicates the missives, causing them to go everywhere), spilling whatever secrets people were up to.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Sun, of course, could have an anti-undead realm spell. Travelers could have a realm spell that impacts movement, either halving or doubling movement costs in target provinces. Maybe Guardian could get a realm spell that can prevent random events from spawning in a province? That could be the most hated form of magic by the priests of Mats, who derisively refer to it as the "buzz-kill spell".
Last edited by WB - Water's Blessing on Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 pm

HW - Halmond Westerly wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:50 pm
I like this. There is even a (later edition of DnD) spell called illusionary terrain, that casts an illusion over the ground to alter it. That could be a very potent spell in illusions to help foil things like scrying and such. Purposes could be anything from hiding fortifications, to altering the type of expected terrain to create issues for units moving, to foiling trade routes. Not that I think any one of those purposes is more useful, but the idea of illusions as realm spells would be powerful indeed.
There's an illusory terrain battle spell, but we don't use battle spells. In essence, it let you disguise units, so that you could either escape a fight or launch an ambush attack.

BB - Bronzebeard

Post by BB - Bronzebeard » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Because it's an arms race.
Umm. We are playing D&D. It's all an arms race. The NPCs/monsters are tougher than we are so we gain Experience to get tougher than them, so our opponents get tougher. We have first level spells, so they have first level spells so we get higher/tougher spells, so they do. We do fire damage, so they get fire resistance, so we do more fire damage so they get fire immunity, so we change damage type, and on and on. It's all an arms race.
Brom Bronzebeard

The Wizard Under the Mountain

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 pm
There's an illusory terrain battle spell, but we don't use battle spells. In essence, it let you disguise units, so that you could either escape a fight or launch an ambush attack.
*nods* A realm spell for illusionary terrain could still be useful for hiding holdings and such.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Realm Spell mirror image on province lol

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:19 pm

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:13 pm
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 pm
*nods* A realm spell for illusionary terrain could still be useful for hiding holdings and such.
Feign Destruction already does that.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:25 pm

Sort of. It says it's destroyed. Illusionary terrain could hide it altogether. IE, keep people from even knowing it's there to begin with, which in turn can lead to interesting confusions as to why a particular action didn't work. (Assuming there isn't room, etc)