War Rules

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Re: War Rules

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:46 pm

I think the magic of this world is growing, and the restrictions about "only where you have a source" should be lessened somewhat from Diaspora I. Maybe like each province away from a source reduces it by 1, so 5 provinces away from a level 5 source=powerless.

I suppose anyone on a battlefield could be subject to attempted assassination, maybe DC10 or something instead of DC20. That would be a good check. It could finally give thieves a role too. But then so should every regent on a battlefield. And that level 10 wizard would do better to hide invisibly and then murder/bloodtheft the other regents at the battle then waste fireballs on meaningless commoners.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm

It will be lessened, just haven't gone through updating everything.

CBC - Garand

Post by CBC - Garand » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Disassemble? NO DISASSEMBLE!
Kaigan: Before the ancient flame..
"We grieve."
Kaigan: At this loss..
"We weep."
Kaigan: For the fallen..
"We shout."
Kaigan: And for ourselves..
"We take our leave."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Bloodtheft requires piercing the heart at close range, or similar (bloodsilver weapons make it so any wound in melee will do) so even a wizard would be better off attempting it on a defeated regent after the battle, rather than during it. And even though that's possible, we have rules to forbid using bloodtheft on prisoners, so I think it makes sense to assume none of our characters are sufficiently dishonourable to think battlefield assassination is a thing to do. The escalation could get out of hand...

It's not assassination I was thinking of, just the more basic risk that someone who gets close enough to cast spells, even if they're using tricks to teleport or fly around, could get the attention of hundreds of soldiers at the same time and immediately become full of projectiles, which is not a problem non-spellcasting characters are likely to ever have.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:19 pm

I will use a butterknife for the coup d'grace!. We dont use weapons, so...

Protection from Normal Missiles uses to work perfectly against hundred of bowmen anyway. A shining knight on nice armour will have the same attention if they want to, remember what the french knights thought of that vs the english bowmen..,)
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Province level cap plus unit cap plus battle spells are going to make mages very powerful. If I team with a ruler with just a few units after researching rain of magic missiles it will be a slaughter.

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:24 pm

An alternate suggestion to reopening the game to battle magic is to continue using the war adventure rules.

While not using war levels, you could design a few adventurer units (One for each DC)

If its a simple process, you could make one for each ruler style. Warrior +1 charge/melee. rogue +Defence/saves. Priest +hits, Wizard +range.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Give rogues +10 to Espionage Assassination...then while not a 'factor' on the battlefield, they become a potential 'fear' factor for those leading battles.

And while individually the rogue may not match up so well against the other classes in direct combat, give them a round or more where their backstab multiplier is in play does make them very viable for this most skull-duggery of actions :)
Last edited by MS - Meaghan Smith on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Or BSBs suggestion works too...
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 pm

The situation I'm imagining is a 9th-level wizard flying over a fortress with greater invisibility, casting cloudkill, when a first-level priest among the defenders gets the idea to cast the command spell and tells them to 'Land!'. They fail the save and obediently descend to the rooftop, where someone snatches their pouch of spell components, they get caught in a net, the wind blows their own spell into them, a berserker charges at them a sword coated in magic oil, and another priest waves a wand of hold person. The wizard's last thought is "I should have stayed in bed today." (Meanwhile, a warrior in the 'same' situation has hundreds of allies around to provide cover and support, not to mention a mount, as a failsafe.)

Exaggerated, but I think the part where this world has magic items in it, and presumably plenty of unlanded scions seeking glory, makes trying to go wizard-Rambo on the enemy more dangerous than it'd be if every soldier on the battlefield was a 0th-level warrior with the same stats and matching equipment. Though I don't really want to think about all the counter-measures on this level, it's a thousand times easier to abstract it out with the war adventures rules we're already using.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."